Wednesday 12 October 2016

Fear - Faith

Fear: the lie

Like waves it had almost consumed. At first I was not ready. As it billowed, and rolled, I allowed it to carry me into the undertow, almost to the point of retreat... a gasping for air, choking on lies and spitting up truth I had been clinging so tightly to. A sort of terrifying mental take over, with no forethought. Undercurrent: self.

Fear: the reality

...and then, in a moment of thin silence where time slows, and movement breathes fresh waters of grace, I am reminded of the break point... the overwhelmed place where terror and relief roll over into the oceans exhale... Every wave has its shore, and it is the creator that has made it so.

Fear: the who

Who has made the wave, the breaking point, and it's shore? Who gives me this need to trust the call into deeper waters and abandoned my place in the warm sun on the beach? Who reminds me that the waves and wind still know his name?

Faith: the truth

When you walk through the woods do you feel the earths warmth on a Fall afternoon, or allow needles fallen to tickle under foot? Do you marvel at the works of your own hands, in this fallen place? Trees of every colour, waters beyond the minds eye, and hold the mountains in the palm of your hand? Do you light up the oceans floor with your glory and create new galaxies at the edge of time?

Faith: the reality

And who am I that you would consider this heart your dwelling place? Cleaning out all brokenness, fear, and lighting what is left with your truth? Who am I that you saw my unformed body, breathed it into life, and placed your son on a cross to buy me back from my former master? Who changes my thoughts, renews my person and reminds me of who I am; which in turn is only in you.

Faith: the who

You who loved, we who failed. You who is constant, us who run. You who love, us who know no such word without you. You, wrapped in flesh and blood, us who killed, who kill. You risen, us brought back. You who love, you who show us how to love. You who chase, you who won. As it was, and will be... Amen

From fear to faith. A passing through the flame with no singeing along the edge, and you have made it so. The mystery, three in one... Father Son, and Holy Ghost. Praise be to God.



When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.

Is. 43:2

No comments:

Post a Comment